Saturday 25 June 2011

Sizewell

In my last posting I said that my next post would be about my work based on Sizewell. I have been contemplating this theme over several years. A catalyst for action has been the Japanese situation caused by natural events. I watched the construction of Sizewell B and remember the protests against it at the time. My reaction as an artist is that its position and location in the landscape can look magnificent. I illustrate this with digital photos taken over a five year period.

However my heart and head agrees with the protests. I am aware of the so called green issues. I intent to complete a series of art work using the imagery below.

This week the go ahead for the construction of another reactor on the site has been given. My fears are primarily about the safety of the site.




I was working on this mixed media painting during my open studio weekends. The view is from Dunwich village beach looking towards Sizewell. You can see part of the complex and dome I plan to complete a series of work from various view points showing different moods.


Digital image taken earlier this year on a very busy day for Dunwwich.


Digital image from Minsmere beach in the early evening it demonstrates how shallow the beach is. How vulnerable the site is.


A glorious summer evening with long shadows. The dome looks iconic the path drawing you in. It reminds me of the Taj Mahal .





This picture demonstrate how in one day of storms the edge of the land can disappear into the sea. The sea breached into the marsh land. This rings alarm bells for me.


I love the colours in the foreground of this image and the contrast with the mist obscuring the site and sea.

I am currently working on a piece based on this image. I often sit from this viewpoint watching marsh harriers coming into the reed beds a wonderful sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment