Tuesday 22 November 2011

Boats


I visited the coast on Nov 13th after a misty start at Minsmere and following a delicious hot chocolate from the old coast guard cottages cafe it turned into a bright crisp afternoon on Dunwich beach.
Boats and hunting for driftwood soon became the focus for a walk. My head began to clear and my optimism was renewed. The beached showed evidence of heavy strong seas and high tides which had littered the tide line with loads of of plastic, some driftwood and massive clumps of seaweed on the beach and in the sea. The weed had tangled amongst it rope, plastic fishing line and dangerous hooks.
The visit inspired boat making with found driftwood and beach finds.

The sky was a perfect blue and strong shadows cast by the winching shed made the scene even more appealing.

Before showing you some of the boats made after my visit. I thought I would include a picture of Discarded a found piece which combined beach finds with collaged art work on a painted canvas. I was producing work like this during 2005




This reminds me of a Maldon barge I used to live close to Maldon . It was great to pop to the river and see the barges and other boats the mud, reed beds etc. Fond memories

This reminds me of a boat I saw in the far east.


I love finding pieces of wood which have been painted

Transparent sail
I called this piece Iron Bird

Half circle

Heartshaped glass


No comments:

Post a Comment